Preface: IPython offers an enhanced read-eval-print loop (REPL) environment particularly well adapted to scientific computing. In other words, IPython is a powerful interface to the Python language.
Background: IPython provides a rich toolkit to help you make the most out of using Python, with:
- Powerful Python shells (terminal and Qt-based).
- A web-based notebook with the same core features but support for code, text, mathematical expressions, inline plots and other rich media.
- Support for interactive data visualization and use of GUI toolkits.
- Flexible, embeddable interpreters to load into your own projects.
- Easy to use, high performance tools for parallel computing.
Vulnerability details: IPython could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by improper permission assignment.
By sending a specially-crafted request, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code from the
current working directory.
Remedy: No remedy available as of July 22, 2021.